PRACTICING GRATITUDE EVERYDAY IS THE PATH TO A HAPPY AND MORE FULFILLING LIFE. WHAT ARE YOU THANKFUL FOR TODAY?
Life doesn’t always turn out like you thought. [Insert thinking face here.] Let’s rephrase that. Life basically never turns out like you thought. Plans are derailed, hopes feel hopeless and it’s easy to get caught up in everything negative that seems to be driving the world. But a big part of finding everyday joy is with gratitude. And the truth is, you have a lot of things to be grateful for.
Oh, I know it doesn’t always feel that way. Especially when you’re in a bad spot.
But even if you’re happy as a clam at the moment, pausing long enough to identify and appreciate the things you’re thankful for is how you’re going to love your journey. Being grateful is also how you’re going to make sure negativity doesn’t drive you.
Practicing gratitude comes with a ton of benefits, too.
On top of a more positive outlook and overall happiness, being thankful can help you:
- Build stronger relationships
- Improve sleep
- Reach goals faster
- Boost self-esteem
- Increase productivity
And that’s just a touch of what gratitude can do.
You know what else is positively uh-may-zing about gratitude? It’s absolutely free and you can get started TODAY. Which of the following 80 things are you grateful for on this beautiful day?
80 everyday things to be grateful for
- A place to call home. Your home is shelter from the elements, but also a place to make your own. Personalize it in a way that makes you happy.
- That first cup of coffee in the morning. Not just a comforting energy boost, coffee comes with plenty of other benefits, too.
- Spelling a word correctly on the first try after years of being haunted by the red squiggly line. Success at last.
- Working in a pet-friendly office. Not just a way to de-stress with fuzz therapy, but a chance to connect with coworkers you might not normally.
- A good snuggle. With your pet or loved one. Or both simultaneously.
- Finally sneezing after minutes of an obnoxious face tickle. God bless you!
- Running hot water. Because toting water from a nearby stream and heating it takes way more work.
- Your favorite coffee shop. Then becoming a friendly regular and getting the occasional free drink because of it.
- Donuts. Nuff said.
- Saturday mornings. You’ve got two delightful days before Monday. Live it up.
- A lazy afternoon. Life is all go, but you deserve to be lazy once in a while. Try it, you’ll love it.
- Random bursts of energy. When you’ve got the bug to jump around and flail your arms about like nobody’s business, do it. Embrace the weird.
- Cats. YouTube cats, neighborhood cats, memes of cats, your cats. All the cats.
- Accomplishing something incredible at work and being recognized for it. Actually, recognition is closely linked to overall happiness in the workplace.
- Hearing your favorite song on the radio. Even if you have it on your playlist.
- A new crush. Complete with butterflies and nervous glances.
- A full tank of gas. And another several hundred miles until the next fill up.
- Not setting your alarm on the weekend. There’s nothing better than having nothing to do (and letting your body get some rest at last).
- Old photographs. Feeling nostalgic? Research shows it can be good for you.
- Trying a new hobby. Then discovering that you’re really into it.
- Holidays. From time off work and spending it with family to cookie baking and pretending like your diet never existed.
- Your dreams. The inspiration to build a more meaningful and prosperous life.
- Camping. Making your great escape to the outdoors is one of the best ways to clear your mind and lift your spirits.
- A friendship that doesn’t require you to fill pockets of silence with chitchat. With someone you can truly be yourself.
- Staying in your PJs all day. Admit it. Feels pretty incredible.
- Thunderstorms. Nature sounds, light show and potential outage? Ready the candles.
- Your coworkers. Not all of them. Just the ones you like who make your workday more tolerable.
- Your other coworkers. The ones who aren’t your friends, but who’ve helped you professionally grow in some way or another regardless.
- A killer workout. Research shows that those heart-pumping sessions do amazing things for your health.
- Homemade soup on a cold day. Healthy and hearty.
- Meeting up with friends for the first time in months. Seeing a friendly face is like a hug for the soul.
- Working from home. No dress code or commute? Yes, please!
- Hot chocolate topped with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. The dog days of summer can’t hold you back from a drink this good.
- A good night’s sleep. Better sleep can help you reduce stress, lose weight and boost your mood. Here’s how to get the sleep you deserve.
- Reaching milestones. Whether paying down debt, dropping five pounds or growing your business, pushing yourself through the ups and downs to get it done will always be a reason to celebrate and be grateful.
- Sunrises. Just the inspiration you need to start the day. Even more so if you catch it on your commute to work.
- And sunsets. More perfection.
- Pets. These ultimate companions keep you happy and healthy.
- Someone holding the door open for you. And holding the door open for someone else.
- Watching your man open a super sweet gift you got him. The gift he secretly wanted (and maybe didn’t even know it).
- Driving with the windows down on a crisp day. Feels like freedom.
- The first snowfall of the season. With it, the first snowman, snow fight, snow angel, snow everything.
- Stargazing. Breathtaking and awe-inspiring. When’s the last time you looked up?
- Surprisingly short grocery store lines. The world’s working on your side, my friend.
- Finding money in your wallet you had forgotten about. Always a nice surprise (and an excuse to buy that extra latte this week).
- Watching your favorite 90s flick. Again.
- The smell of rain. That earthy smell you’ve grown to love? Fun fact: It’s a mixture of petrichor, ozone and geosmin.
- Winning your money back on a scratch off lottery ticket. You didn’t strike it rich, but feels good knowing you have a second chance… to either put your money back in the bank or try again. 😉
- Working arms and legs. Which makes anything a million times easier to do. Even the smallest of things, like brushing your teeth.
- A hike. Whether a nature stroll or challenging trek, hiking is good for your mind, body and soul.
- Taking a long overdue vacation. Any vacation really, but it’s even sweeter when you’re past due.
- Pay day. Yas.
- A smile from a stranger. The kind of sweetness that makes the world a place you actually want to live in.
- Laughing so hard you cry. Yep, even if you’re at work. Your coworkers might think you’re actually crying (or are legit cray cray), but none of that matters.
- Sunshine. Plus that extra dose of Vitamin D your body is probably craving.
- Finding the love of your life. Someone you can share forever with. Who loves you just as you are.
- Your talents. Whether they come naturally or you’ve had to work hard for them, your talents and strengths are part of who you are. Use them.
- Campfires. Gathering around a crackling fire with friends and toasty marshmallows is hard to beat.
- Music. A happiness booster and anxiety reducer.
- Cozy blankets. And the option to wrap yourself in one that looks incredibly like a tortilla (like this one).
- Siblings. You’ve laughed with them, yelled at them and can count on them when you need it most.
- Sprinkles. They’re fun, colorful and pretty darn cute.
- Mid-afternoon naps. Especially since power naps are actually good for you.
- A supportive significant other. No matter how nuts you feel for trying something new, they’ve always got your back.
- Saturday nights at home. More so when you’ve got a few fun ideas up your sleeve. Maybe you should stay in more often?
- Dancing. Relieve stress, invite joy and get some exercise.
- A coworker going out of their way to help you. This is the kind of support system every workplace needs.
- Rainbows. You don’t need a leprechaun to tell you they’re magical.
- A spontaneous pizza date night. Date night with a loved one and a pizza? Or date night with just the pizza. Your call.
- Weekend happy hours. Plenty of restaurants have a Monday through Friday happy hour. But on the weekend? Game on.
- The local farmer’s market. A chance to step outside and meet new people, plus load up on farm-fresh foods and support your community.
- Clean bed sheets. Which should be washed at least once a week.
- Baby animals. And videos of baby animals.
- The men and women who’ve served your country and fought for your freedom. You might not be where you are if not for their sacrifices.
- A cool breeze. You’ve gotta admit, it’s the best kind of breeze.
- Waking up minutes before your alarm buzzes. And actually getting out of bed without hitting snooze.
- A compliment from a perfect stranger. Or from anyone.
- Giving someone a compliment. Then watching that person’s face light up.
- Unconditional love. Love at its finest.
- Believing that you can. This doesn’t always come naturally or easily, but whatever you have your heart set on, this mindset is key to realizing your dreams. Throw fear and doubt out the window. Start believing in YOU.
I’d love to know, what are you grateful for today? How do you keep a thankful heart in your daily life?